The GCRI New York was opened on February 19, 2010,
by the Federal Minister of Education and Research, Prof. Dr. Annette
Schavan, and the German Ambassador to the United States, Dr. Klaus
Scharioth. It was established as one of five German Houses of Research and Innovation (DWIHs) worldwide and is part of the German government's Strategy for the Internationalization of Science and Research.
The GCRI's primary goals consist of:
- Presenting Germany to the North American market as a land of research and innovation
- Enhancing the dialogue between academia and industry
- Creating a forum for the initiation and enhancement of transatlantic projects
- Providing an information platform for the German research and innovation landscape
GCRI’s mission is to strengthen transatlantic collaboration in science and technology to help solve the global challenges of the 21st century.
GCRI fulfills its mission by
- Convening scientific conferences and symposia to examine cutting-edge research and explore solutions to global problems that integrate understandings of science, the economy, and society
- Providing a “one-stop shop” for information about the German research landscape and funding sources
- Celebrating and promoting German contributions to research and development through lectures and exhibitions
- Developing workshops for graduate students and other young researchers to facilitate engagement with German institutions and support them in their careers
- Supporting North American universities as they develop strategies to enhance international research collaboration with Germany
- Organizing events that bring together international experts and partners from research institutions, industry, and government
Under the joint leadership of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the German Research Foundation (DFG), the GCRI receives its funding through the German Federal Foreign Office’s Research and Academic Relations Initiative. Additional designated partners are the alliance of German science organizations and the Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce. For more information, please visit the GCRI partner institutions page.